10 YEARS AGO
April 6, 2011
The Kingsbury County Commissioners declared the county a disaster Tuesday due to flooding and flood damage. The commission approved an emergency declaration submitted by Cindy Bau, Emergency Management for Kingsbury County. Bau reported that the state park manager at Lake Thompson reads the water gauge daily, and the water is going up one half an inch to one inch a day. Lake residents have gone through 25,000 sand bags so far, but the access road to their homes is under water.
25 YEARS AGO
April 3, 1996
Many first graders will have a new favorite book soon. “My Favorite Book,” an illustrated volume expressive of positive moral values, is being made available as a gift to first graders by local business leaders who are concerned about the future of children. With each distribution, extra copies are given to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Elementary School along with a professionally narrated audio cassette of the book. A copy of the volume goes home with the child to become his or her own. Sponsors are Peoples State Bank, De Smet Good Samaritan Center, Osthus Funeral Home, De Smet Farm Mutual Insurance and De Smet Memorial Hospital.
50 YEARS AGO
April 8, 1971
Two teams of De Smet agriculture students participated in the third annual meat judging contest held at the Pipestone, Minn., Area Vocational Technical School on Sat., March 27. Team No. 1, consisted of Douglas Price, Rich Johnson, Mark Harris and Danny Johnson. Ron Albrecht, Terry Dierkson, Kim Wallum and Dirk Poppen made up members of Team No. 2. About 30 individuals were entered in addition to the 43 teams. Team No. 1 placed 11th in overall competition. Brookings placed 5th. Schools from Minnesota, Iowa and South Dakota were represented. The contest included identification of 75 wholesale cuts of meat, judging four classes of wholesale cuts and carcasses and grading beef and lamb carcasses according to U.S.D.A. standards.
75 YEARS AGO
April 4, 1946
Sale of the Odd Fellow lots at the corner of Third Street and Calumet Avenue to Ferdinand Wulff is reported this week, the purchase being made for the erection of an automobile sales and service building. Mr. Wulff’s plans call for a building 50x100 feet with half of it two-story and apartments on the second floor. The lodge expects to purchase other land to which it will move the lodge building. The single-story structure is one of the pioneer buildings of the city, owned and used by the Odd Fellows for some years.
115 YEARS AGO
April 6, 1906
Dr. Chas. H. Abbott has made arrangements with O.H. Hazel for securing a portion of the Cream City Livery Barn to prepare for care of invalided horses.
L. E. Sasse is preparing for the demands of the thirsty public during the summer months. He has put in a fine, large soda fountain at the drug store.
J. E. Holz has sold his abstract business to J. O. Purintun, to give possession May first.