10 YEARS AGO
January 12, 2011
Twin boys were born Dec. 6, 2010, at Avera McKennan Hospital in Sioux Falls to Marshall and Nicole Meier of Belview, Minn. They are named Kobe Marshall and Drue Marshall. Kobe weighed 5 pounds, 10 ounces and was 19 inches long. Drue weighed 5 pounds, 11 ounces and was also 19 inches long. The twins join a sister, Ava. Grandparents are Todd and Jean Wilkinson of De Smet and Bruce and Doris Meier of Redwood Falls, Minn. Great-grandparents include Bette Wilkinson of De Smet and Reneta McFerran of Watertown.
25 YEARS AGO
January 10, 1996
De Smet wrestlers Raymond Johnson and Rob Cleveland placed first Jan. 6 in the Wessington Springs invitational by pinning all of their opponents. Chris Gilligan and Paul Larsen placed second. Scott Coughlin, Rustin Albrecht and Brad Kretchmer competed at Wessington Springs but did not place. Lance Geiman sprained his ankle in the first match and got a default.
Two statewide South Dakota business groups will merge this month. The South Dakota Restaurant Association and the South Dakota Retailers Association will consolidate as of Jan. 15. Members of the restaurant association will now be part of the South Dakota Retailers Association restaurant division.
50 YEARS AGO
January 14, 1971
The annual meeting of Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society, Inc., held at the Surveyor’s Shanty Monday evening, brought reports of a year of activity for the group, in the second season of hospitality at the restored construction camp shanty of 1879-80. Re-elected as president was Mrs. Leslie Dannenbring, as secretary, Mrs. E.F. Kirchmeier, as treasurer, Mrs. Bernelle McCaskell. George Krieger was elected vice president, succeeding Michael Pollock, who had served the past year. The election of officers followed re-election of Mrs. Kirchmeier and Mrs. McCaskell to the board of trust-directors. Other members in addition to Mrs. Dannenbring and Mr. Krieger are Aubrey Sherwood, Mrs. Roy Springer and Mr. Pollock.
75 YEARS AGO
January 10, 1946
The Rosedale school received a pencil sketch of their schoolhouse as it was in 1888 from Harvey Dunn of Tenafly, N.J. this week. The sketch came in answer to a request made of the famous painter by John Hueye, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hueye, who now own the farm where Mr. Dunn was born. In the scene, Mr. Dunn, who attended the school when a small boy, depicts the gathering of the settlers at the little prairie schoolhouse for a temperance meeting. The sketch is drawn with fine authenticity, the tiny building the same as it looks today except for an entryway added in later years. It stands bleak and lovely on the west bank of the Redstone Creek with settlers approaching in wagons for the meeting. In the background, just visible over a knoll, is the roof of a sod house. This sod shanty is not standing now but is remembered by homesteaders here. The pupils of the district and their teacher, Mrs. Elmer Hillestad, greatly appreciate Mr. Dunn’s continued interest in the school he attended so many years ago.
100 YEARS AGO
January 14, 1921
Starting on a campaign that will aim to stop cigarette smoking by school children, orders have been issued to all police in De Smet to cause the arrest of any such caught smoking. A warning has also been given dealers against selling cigarettes to minors.
There is a novelty in the county. It is an iceboat and is driven by a patented airplane propeller. It is the invention of C.K. Henington, a resident of this county. He will be remembered to have constructed a small airplane last spring which was not very successful. He has taken the iceboat to Lake Henry, where he will keep it until about Jan. 17. It is understood that he intends to take passengers at a very reasonable charge.