May 11, 1911
At last the census of the towns and cities in this state, taken a year ago, has been announced. Iroquois is credited with 578 people. This does not include Gerner’s addition, which is not counted in because it has not become a part of the incorporated town. In fact, it is a part of the town from every standpoint except the one mentioned, and this would swell our population to about 650. Other towns in this vicinity are listed as follows: De Smet 1063, Lake Preston 1007, Arlington 791, Carthage 554, Willow Lake 437, Cavour 408, Huron 5,791. The printed figures for Cavour are either a mistake or the census-taker counted in all of the adjoining territory. The village proper does not have half the population credited to it.
May 14, 1931
Ordered by the city council, a new band stand for Iroquois is now in process of construction under the direction of Frank Peters. The new stand is of generous proportion, with a roof and ample seating capacity, and is mounted on steel wheels so as to be easily moved as occasion demands. With a municipal band giving regular open-air concerts during the summer months, the city needed a good band stand, and the council evidently recognized this fact and wisely concluded to supply the need.
The Carpenter State Bank, with $15,000 capital and $90,000 in deposits, failed to open for business Saturday morning and is in the hands of the state banking department.
Complaint has been made that someone has been prowling around the residence portion of town during recent nights after the hour when all honest people are presumed to be in bed. The complaint has come from several sources, and as a consequence, a number of guns have been loaded and a number of residents are ready to go into action if the night visitor continues to prowl around premises where he has no rights and is not wanted.
May 15, 1941
Due to the fact that the local Red Cross ladies are short of material to complete the layette sets for war refugees, a bake sale will be held Saturday at Casperson’s meat market at 2:30 p.m. in order to raise money for the needed material. Baked goods for the sale will also be appreciated.
C. J. Stoner is now in possession of a new patrol for use in his duties of keeping the county highways in tip-top shape in the west part of the county. This fine patrol was recently purchased by the Kingsbury County commissioners, and the old and smaller patrol formerly used by Mr. Stoner was transferred to Erwin.
Chain letters and cards are again flourishing through the channels of the U. S. mail in great numbers. Patrons of the post office depositing in the mail cards and letters relating to schemes of this nature are warned by Postmaster G. F. Whites that sending of such matter through the mail is a violation of the post fraud and lottery statutes.
The Codington-Clark Electric Association has mapped out a rural electrification program covering 475 miles in Codington, Clark and Beadle counties. Members totaling 950 have signed to date, and the papers for the first allotment have been completed and sent to Washington for approval. The route now mapped out in the Carpenter vicinity is from Merton store through Darlington and Hague townships, on to Carpenter and west to Bloomfield. There will also be a branch line south to the Bethel Church. Arthur Madsen of Carpenter is treasurer of the association, and W. A. Hicks of Carpenter is a member of the board of directors.