May 4, 1911
The larger cities in South Dakota are boosting their population figures by multiplying the number of votes cast at the recent city elections by five thus determining the population. If Iroquois applied this multiple and counted in Gerner’s addition, we could claim a population of 800. Iroquois does not have that many people, and the other towns are over-estimating when they multiply the vote by five.
The month of April, 1911, will go down in history as furnishing more wind than any like month since this section of the state was settled. There were not to exceed half a dozen quiet days in the month.
With this issue the Chief enters upon volume 24. The silver anniversary is fast approaching, and the silver hairs among the brown reminds the writer, who has been at the helm since the first issue, that time is fleeting.
May 7, 1931
Kittenball enthusiasts have held a few practice games, and while no scheduled contests have as yet been arranged, it is quite probable that the players will get down to brass tacks in the near future. Baseball, so far as Iroquois is concerned, seems to be a sport of the past.
With the advent of spring, members of the Iroquois Golf Club are renewing their desire to swing the clubs, and a number of new members, mostly of the fair sex, have joined the club and are being coached in the proper manner of driving the little white pill.
While the numerous night freezes give some grain fields the appearance of having been injured, there are a very few fields that have actually been harmed. The roots have been stooling in good shape, and rain followed by warm weather will soon make a decided change for the better.
Mrs. Leonard Spriggs was the victim of a painful accident which occurred Saturday evening. While preparing supper she slipped and fell, striking the hot stove and severely burning her left arm from the fingertips to the elbow. She immediately rushed to the nearest doctor where the injuries were dressed, and at present, she is confined to her home and Dr. Gross of Iroquois is in attendance.
May 8, 1941
Evidently, R. J. Brandrup believes in helping out in the defense program by raising more hogs and at the same time establish somewhat of a record. When entering the barn one morning, Roy found to his surprise two sows with 42 little pigs, one with 25 and the other with 17.
Frank Richards, a well-known citizen and postmaster of Esmond, has started a very unusual hobby of collecting stones and agates and polishing them. He got the inspiration from his sister, Mrs. Nellie Lindsey. In the fall of 1939, he helped her collect specimens, and the following spring began making a collection for himself. With the aid of his wife, he has found many beautiful agates, varying in size and shape. Among Mr. Richard’s collection are stones and agates from 13 states and three foreign countries. They include moss agate from Montana, flower agate from Oregon, rainbow agate from Washington, lilac agate from Utah, feldspar from South Dakota, thunder egg agate from California, golden tiger eye from South Africa and specimens from both Brazil and Chile. He also has secured several pieces of petrified coral from Angel Islands in San Francisco Bay. One agate is very peculiar. It is shaped like an arrowhead and on the very top has a piece of white onyx. The rest of the agate is black. Mr. Richards is making a setting for a ring from one of his specimens.