10 YEARS AGO
September 8, 2010
• Patti Ward Slater of De Smet has been nominated for the 2010 Spirit of Dakota Award that will be presented in Huron.
• The 211th Engineer Company of De Smet and Madison is coming home after spending a year in Afghanistan. There will be a homecoming ceremony in Madison with a community gathering scheduled that same day in De Smet at the armory high school.
25 YEARS AGO
September 13, 1995
• Two Badger men, George Christensen and Art Andersen, were injured when their light plane crashed near Badger. The men were looking at crops when the 1946 Piper stalled.
50 YEARS AGO
September 10, 1970
• This year at DSHS, there are eight new students coming from the closed Erwin High School, closed Bancroft grade school and closed Common School No. 28, southwest of De Smet. Gaye Anderson, a junior and Rita Anderson, Gwen Gilbertson and Dixie Doyle, sophomores, are from the Erwin school. Mark Tyrrell is a new sophomore, his family moving from Bancroft. Gene Martins and Roger Purintun, freshmen, are from the closed Bancroft grade school. Grace Moeller of De Smet vicinity is a freshman, having attended the District No. 28 school, now closed.
75 YEARS AGO
September 13, 1945
• Carnival Days come to De Smet this coming week with the Howard Amusement company to be in town Thursday and Friday.
100 YEARS AGO
September 11, 1925
• De Smet school opened Monday morning under the direction of A. E. French, the new superintendent; attendance in high school is 126.