days gone by

2012: Beef Bucks debut on “Wheel of Fortune”

Posted

10 YEARS AGO
January 4, 2012

A new spin in product placement for the promotion of beef airs Jan. 9 when $1,000 in Beef Bucks will be offered on the “Wheel of Fortune” game show. Beef Bucks, the brainchild of Bob and Nancy Montross, a non-profit organization based in De Smet, will reach a national audience on America’s most popular television game show on three episodes on Jan. 9, Jan. 11 and Jan. 13. The first of its kind nonprofit, established in 1997, encourages beef consumption through the sale of gift cards and gift certificates that can be used in fast-food restaurants, steak houses, retail meat markets, grocery stores and home delivery services. The couple launched the organization as a promotion for South Dakota’s beef industry.

25 YEARS AGO
January 1, 1997

Staff Sergeant Randal Holland has been named non-commissioned officer of the year by Capt. Gary Schumacher, commander of Det. 1 Company B 153rd Eng. Bn (C) (Mech). Holland will now compete with others in the battalion and if named non-commissioned officer of the year at that level, he will compete with those in the 109th Engineer Group in Rapid City. Holland is an 18-year member of the National Guard and is a combat engineer and squad leader.

50 YEARS AGO
January 6, 1972

A review of the 4-H Club Achievement Days and of the progress made in finishing the interior of the 4-H Center structure will come Saturday in the annual meeting of the Kingsbury County Fair Association with election of officers held. The meeting will be held at 2 p.m., Saturday at the 4-H building kitchen. The former Commodity Credit Corporation frame granary, the building is located on the County Fair Grounds, the eastern two-thirds of the one-time De Smet Athletic Park. An extensive project of finishing the interior of the structure began with the kitchen and meeting room across the west end late in 1970 and was continued last year with a ceiling for the remainder of the structure. Still to be provided is heating of the auditorium in cold weather, and this and other improvements will be given consideration Saturday, with priorities decided upon.

75 YEARS AGO
January 2, 1947

Mr. and Mrs. Hollis M. Hill entertained at their home New Year’s Day in honor of the 46th wedding anniversary of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. O.J. Hill.

Dr. and Mrs. P.L. Scofield and Alan spent New Year’s Day in Huron with Mrs. Scofield’s relatives.

Mrs. Selmer Skyberg, the former Henrietta Hendricks, completed her duties today at the J.C. Penney store after being employed there for several years.

Miss Jane Garry of Washington, D.C., and Joe Cronin of Lewiston, Maine, are visiting at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Garry and family. He plans to leave tomorrow, and Jane will leave Monday.

105 YEARS AGO
January 5, 1917

Last Friday, a few minutes after noon, Mr. Coulson discovered fire in the register of deeds office and turned in an alarm. By the time a stream of water could be turned on, the desk at the south end of the room had been consumed, and fire burned through the ceiling to the clerk of courts room.

Clerk of Courts Ruskell filed his vital statistics report for the year 1916, which shows that there were in this county during the past year 349 births, 100 deaths, 95 marriages and six divorces.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here