bulldog football

De Smet posts shutout of Elkton at home


The De Smet football team hosted their home opener this week, taking on the Elkton-Lake Benton Elks in a DVC matchup. The Bulldogs came into the game with a 3-0 record, and the Elks were 1-2.

The game opened with the De Smet defense holding Elkton-Lake Benton to virtually no gain, forcing a quick punt by the Elks early in the first quarter. The Bulldogs took over at midfield but fumbled on the first play, giving the ball right back to Elkton. De Smet forced another punt and started their drive at the 4-yard line. After a few short runs by the Bulldogs, Colt Wilkinson threw to Kalen Garry for a big gain on a swing pass. A few plays later, Wilkinson found Blake Van Regenmorter for another long pass play. Garry capped off the drive with a 17-yard touchdown run. Wilkinson’s pass to Rett Osthus was good for the two-point conversion, and the Bulldogs took an early 8-0 lead.

After kicking off, the Bulldog defense came up strong again, forcing Elkton to no gain and another Elks punt. The Bulldogs marched down the field with a reception by Osthus and runs from Wilkinson and Garry. Wilkinson would run in the 2-yard touchdown. Garry found his way to the end zone for the two-point conversion, and the Bulldogs led 16-0 to start the second quarter.

Elkton-Lake Benton was again held to no gain and a punt. De Smet converted on a long pass to Garry. The rest of the drive would consist of runs by Kadyn Fast, Tory Holland and Wilkinson and would finish off with a 20-yard touchdown pass from Wilkinson to Osthus. The two-point try was no good, and De Smet led 22-0.

Elkton-Lake Benton got the ball back and had one long running play for a big gain. The drive would stall out, though, and De Smet would take over again on downs. On the ensuing play, Wilkinson found a wide open Osthus for a 65-yard Bulldog touchdown. Wilkinson made his way into the end zone for the two-point conversion, and the score was 30-0 with 1:36 remaining in the half.

De Smet forced another quick punt and would score one more time before halftime, this time on a 38-yard pass to Holland. Wilkinson passed to Garry for the two-point conversion, and the Bulldogs took a 38-0 lead into halftime.

De Smet would get the ball first after halftime, and Fast ran the kickoff back for an 85-yard touchdown. The lead was now 44-0 in favor of the Bulldogs to begin the second half.

The Bulldog defense again held, and De Smet took over at the Elkton-Lake Benton 34-yard line. Wilkinson hit Garry for a 34-yard passing touchdown, and the game was over with 6:01 left in the third quarter due to the 50-point mercy rule.

Leading the way for De Smet was Wilkinson who was 11-13 passing for 233 yards and four touchdown passes, 36 yards rushing and one rushing touchdown. Osthus had 92 yards receiving and two touchdowns. Garry chipped in with 93 yards receiving, one receiving touchdown, 30 yards rushing and one rushing touchdown. Fast had an 85-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and ran for 20 yards. Holland had 46 yards receiving and one touchdown.

The Bulldog defense allowed only 63 yards of total offense to the Elks. Noah Harrison led with seven tackles. Wilkinson and Van Regenmorter chipped in with six.

For Elkton-Lake Benton, Ryan Krog was 3 for 8 passing for five yards. He also had 37 yards rushing.

The #1 ranked Bulldogs will take on Arlington-Lake Preston next Friday in Lake Preston.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here