at the museum

The museum is getting a makeover!

Posted

At the Lake Preston Museum, considerable progress has been made in restoring the exterior of the building to its former beauty.

To accomplish a transformation was not an easy task, but thanks to the hard work of City Finance Officer Brenda Klug, museum board members and generous donors, the project is close to completion.

In order to receive two separate grants from the City of Deadwood and the State Historical Society-Deadwood grants, the building had to be accepted by the South Dakota State Historical Society for the National Register of Historical Places. After an exhausting process and a thorough inspection, the society determined that the property retains good historic integrity of location, setting design, material, workmanship and feeling.

The original Methodist Church building was erected in 1890, but soon outgrew the space, so it was sold to the Catholic Congregation and moved about a mile east of the present location. A new structure was constructed in 1908 on the existing lot. The new church included beautiful stained-glass windows that covered most of the east, west and south sides of the building. The building was donated to the city in 2014 and designated for use by the Lake Preston Museum.

The people who worked on the exterior are experienced in preserving historic buildings and followed the protocols of the South Dakota State Register of Historic Places. They scraped the old paint off by hand and painted with brushes to stay within the guidelines.

The final step includes replacing the failed tuck pointing on the foundation, with new landscaping planned for the future.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here