days gone by
10 YEARS AGO
February 16, 2011
De Smet High School actors, under the direction of Jennifer Dobson, came away with a multitude of awards at the state one-act play contest held Feb. 3-5 at the performing arts center in Brookings. They received a superior award for their play, “Us and Them.” Nathan Mann, Haley Hubbard and David Reynhout all received a superior rating for individual performances, and each of the three ensemble groups also received a superior rating. They included Megan Schipper and Ramona Huntimer for percussion.
25 YEARS AGO
February 14, 1996
Chris Gilligan won his weight division in the Region 1B Tournament Feb. 10 in Webster. He wrestles Saturday in the state tournament in Aberdeen. Gilligan also wrestled in the state tournament last year. He placed fourth in the region last year.
De Smet kindergarten teacher, Kathy Aughenbaugh, Feb. 7 took her class to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Pageant grounds to enjoy horse-drawn bobsled rides in celebration of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s 129th birthday. Temperatures that day climbed into the 30s, making for a pleasant ride.
50 YEARS AGO
February 18, 1971
Ralph Brodersen, De Smet, reported dogs killed over 60 of his lambs at the farm he has rented just north of the Peavey-AlfaCon plant. Several of the lambs, which weighed near the 100-pound mark, suffocated as the dogs chased them in a corner of the barn. Brodersen reports 55 head killed were ready for market.
James Moore has sold his De Smet Livestock operation, leasing the sale barn and its facilities to Harley McFerran, who resides at Hazel, and who has been operating an auction business at Willow Lake. The new operator will take charge March 1. Mr. and Mrs. Moore have no plans to announce, expecting to continue their residence in De Smet.
75 YEARS AGO
February 14, 1946
The annual Dad-Lad banquet that has been sponsored for years by the local American Legion post, served by the Auxiliary, will be held for the first time at the De Smet auditorium this year, the date Friday, Washington’s birthday. The auditorium will allow an increased attendance over past years. Held at various places, the demand for tickets has exceeded the capacity in recent years.
Floyd Abrahamson was in De Smet yesterday looking for a location in which to resume his jewelry repair shop, suspended by his entry into service.
The City bakery closed its door Saturday night to suspend business until it opens in its new location, the former Brewer building. The change has been planned for some time, awaiting only the arrival of a new oven. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gutormson will make improvements in their building before opening in several weeks.
105 YEARS AGO
February 11, 1916
This week will see the removal of one of the landmarks of De Smet. We refer to the Baptist church building on Third Street and Third Avenue. The building has been purchased by H.O. Fritzel and will be torn down. The church was built in 1884, the contractor being Wilkin & Sasse. The contractor price was $1,650, aside from the furniture. It was dedicated Sept. 14, 1884, the first pastor being G.N. Annes. Owing to the removals from the community of many Baptist families, the church was disbanded a few years ago, and the property was purchased by Mrs. H.M. Shearer. Later, the school board acquired the lots and now Mr. Fritzel the building.