The week of June 20, no church services were held in Esmond because of the water level that has never been seen before. County and township roads were, and some still are, impassable. Trees were washed from where they stood and carried over roads and fences, ending up a long way from where they started. There were reports of livestock either swimming or floating and ending up in different areas, with several head of cattle lost to lightning. Four to six inches of rain fell in the area.
Selma and Lee Dunham were home, and Lee attended the Iroquois American Legion meeting with Annette and Charmon Dunham.
Hope you all had a safe and happy 4th of July!
It was recently reported in the South Dakota magazine that the hall in Esmond was a Farm Bureau Hall. Although there have been hundreds of Farm Bureau meetings held there, it is now the Esmond Township Hall, built in 1893 at a cost of $1054.00 and added onto in 1926. It is now on the National Register of historical places.
Our history book shows there have been 50 organizations that have held meetings in the Esmond Hall. Organizations vary from township business, elections, numerous social clubs, church services, weddings, funerals, dances (with fights) and protest meetings.
The school bell sits on a farm north of Madison; the school belfry, the tube fire escape and the old gas pump (restored) are at the Clendening farm.
History note — the 1935 officers of the Esmond Extension Club were Mrs. Wohler, President; Mrs. Cecil Goss, Secretary and Mrs. BC Aughenbaugh, Treasurer. They hosted a “spook” party on Halloween.