New babies celebrated


Mike Knight of Huron was the speaker Oct. 25 for church.

Rose Grothe, accompanied by her daughter Janice of Brookings, made a trip to Sioux Falls on Wednesday of last week for doctor appointments.

Parker Steven Weerts, infant son of Steve and Caitlin Weerts, was released from the hospital in Sioux Falls last Thursday. He had been in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for some time. Welcome home, Parker.

Joanne (Siebelts) Jensen became a great-grandmother for the first time Oct. 22 when her grandson and wife, Evan and Bailey Jensen of Oldham, became the parents of an 8 lb.-plus baby girl at 5:30 p.m. She has been named Rylan Raye, and mother and daughter are doing well.

more history

There were once two hotels in the town. The hotel on the east side of the street, north of the Agnew building, was the Argyle House and was operated by Mrs. Dave Creighton, Dan Thompson, Frank Gubbins, Henry Howell, Henry Krueger Sr., Charlie Wigman and Lew Wehrcamp.

The next building was a grocery and hardware store run by Eilt Claassen, and later A. W. Perry and his son, George. George also sold cars, farm machinery and cream separators.

The north part of the building was a butcher shop owned by Tom Rosser. Mr. Rosser also put up ice in the winter, and during harvest time, he hired help to visit each farm. The housewife would have ordered huge cuts of meat to feed the threshing crews. They were fed three big meals every day when they were threshing grain at the farmstead. The driver would leave town about 3 a.m. with his wagon and the meat that was for the noon meals.

The H.W. Ross Lumber Company was in business for 50 years. Large stocks of dimension lumber, cement, sand and other building materials were available along with pipe for the wells and, at one time, kitchen ranges.

Mail orders could be sent from the local postal service. Orders sent on Monday would be received usually on Wednesday, only two days later. Talk about progress! I ordered some things on Oct. 9 and was told that they would be here by the 22nd. That day has come and gone, and when I tried to ‘track’ them, I was informed that it would be up to four weeks! That to me is going back I don’t know how many centuries. Most of the orders sent in that long-ago time were to “Sears and Roebuck” or “Monkey Ward”, and were often accompanied by dollar bills and change to make the amount of the order. How times have changed.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment