Rick and Vicki Aughenbaugh were supper guests of Gordy and Marilyn Skyberg Saturday in De Smet.
Hannah Wehlander has moved back to DWU and is taking a class in American Sign Language. She is also employed at the Dakota Discovery Museum in Mitchell.
Esmond town, like many townships, has been the only organized municipality in the township.
There is record, however, of three other post offices in the township. Sana, which the settlers referred to as an “inland trading post,” was one-half mile east of Esmond and had an established post office from Oct. 1883 – Nov. 1884. When the railroad missed Sana, the mail went to Esmond.
The Esmond town post office was established in November of 1884 and discontinued Dec. 31, 1973. Mrs. Wayne (Faye) Nelson was the last postmaster for Esmond.
The third location was the settlement of Carroll in northeast Esmond township, with a post office established in 1885 and discontinued in 1886. This settlement has a proposed name of “Confidence.”
The Hanchutt family settlement, six miles southwest of Esmond, had a post office from 1882 to 1891 with 72 patrons; however, the family lived on the county line and the post office was listed as being in Miner County.